ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

0.9 -- customizing the blog title

(8 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by elshaddai
  • Latest reply from Ian Stewart
  • This topic is resolved
  1. Wow - lots of changes to absorb in the new release, but it looks great!

One of my most common “hacks” is to add a span element around the ‘bloginfo’ item in the blog-title string (so it reads: div span a span bloginfo /span /a /span /div). This allows me to put a background logo on the a tag, keeping the home link, while turning off the visibility of the blog title text (via the new span element). This worked when the code was in header.php, but now that this is in the hooks-filters extension, I’m getting the following error when I add the span:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or ‘$’ in xxx/hooks-filters.php on line 385

Note that I’m just trying to modify the default hooks-filters file and haven’t created a child functions.php file yet. Any suggestions?

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. ???

If you're doing it your way you should edit line 35 in hooks-filters.php. Which shouldn't cause a problem in line 385 which is the thematic_show_rss() part.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Indeed - I was only adding the span to line 35, which is why I was confused about the error message...

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. So it should look like this one:

<div id="blog-title"><span><a href="<?php echo get_option('home') ?>/"
    title="<?php bloginfo('name') ?>" rel="home">
    <span><?php bloginfo('name') ?></span></a></span></div>

.. works without any problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Anyway.. you shouldn't do this thing this way!!!! .. Parental Advise: Use a child theme! ;)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Okay. That's what I was doing, so there must be something else going on. However, I've since got the child functions.php working properly, so no need to edit this file anymore.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. should we add another div in the header specifically for people to fill with an image. It seems like a common enough request. It could go in between the branding and access divs.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. That can be done with CSS using the existing markup.

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.