ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

[closed]

2 Column Sidebar

(16 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by DavidM06
  • Latest reply from mcdermos
  • This topic is resolved
  1. DavidM06

I think its my sleepy eyes as to why I cant figure this out. But how do I setup 2 sidebars on the right side? I thought this could be done via widgets automatically but I only get 1 column.

I have another question but ill try and figure it out before I ask :)

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. This can be done in the stylesheet of your child theme, using your own layout, or importing an existing stylesheet from Thematic. Like so:

/* Apply a basic layout */
    @import url('../thematic/library/layouts/3c-r-fixed.css');

You could also just edit that line in the Thematic stylesheet. I don't recommend that though.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. DavidM06

Thank you! If you have a second can you explain the widget areas and how they relate to the template

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. The Thematic demo has all the widget areas in use.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Hey Ian,

This isn't working very well for me. Any ideas?

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Do you mean the width of the content area? You could override it. Or use a custom structure. No need to use mine.

Or is it something else.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. I'm trying to use your structure by importing

However, somewhere it isn't working out.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Figured it out.

In 2c-r-fixed.css, #secondary has a "clear: right", which means no matter how hard you try it will never be a two column, because there is nothing in 3c-r-fixed.css to fix it.

Also, if you are using the "asides category" code from Themeshaper, you need to add a width of about 450px to "body.home div.category-asides," other wise the text will push up close to the first sidebar.

Hope that helps someone!

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. You could add #secondary {clear:none;} (amongst some other declarations). That'll do it.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. My bad, I meant to mention that as the fix for the clear: right problem!

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Could you explain this in step-by-step instructions for a newbie? I want 2 sidebars, but don't want to screw it up .
    P.S. I got it working after editing style.css by replacing the layout instruction with:

I had already edited 3c-r-fixed.css with a \clear:none;\ instruction under \#secondary\

I don't know if this was the right way to do this, but it seems to look OK.

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Don't import the Thematic style.css into your Child Theme. Import the layout, typography, etc. and then copy the default styles into your Child style.css. That's how I would do it.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. So sorry. Still confused, still having trouble.

I've replaced the layout instruction. Now, do I need to add #secondary {clear:none;} to 3c-r-fixed.css, or to my child theme's style.css? Neither seems to do the trick. No matter what I do, my primary and secondary asides just wind up stacked atop one another. Please hold a dunce's hand.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. This is the problem …

@import url('../thematic/style.css');

Anything you import after this, like

@import url('../thematic/library/layouts/2c-r-fixed.css');

Isn't doing anything that wasn't already done in thematic/style.css.

If you're going to change the layout adapt the thematic default styles rather than trying to override them.

(one of the reasons why I'm making default.css in thematic 0.7—you'll see, it'll be awesome.)

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Ahhhh, gotcha. Thank you! Looking forward to 0.7 and all versions beyond. Keep up the great work.

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Completely confused about this.

Have you a basic step by step...

Just started this. Can't work out which is which...

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.