ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

[closed]

2-column category list in sidebar

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by esullivan
  • Latest reply from flick
  • This topic is not resolved
  1. esullivan

I am trying to split the list of categories that appears in the sidebar into two columns. I'd like to keep the post count next to each category. I have a feeling I need to modify the child theme's function.php file, but my PHP knowledge is limited. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. @esullivan: Unless it's a custom sidebar, I think the one you're thinking of is a widget. Maybe you can look into creating a custom widget.

This is a Thesis tutorial but I'm sure it can be easily referenced for Thematic: http://fourblogger.com/how-to-show-2-column-categories-in-sidebar-of-thesis-theme/

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. esullivan

Thanks! This seems close to what I'm looking for, though I notice that it doesn't include post counts next to the category titles. If anybody with PHP skills has suggestions for how to modify the Thesis code for Thematic, that would be great. I know HTML/CSS but I'm a true novice with this stuff.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. esullivan

A quick update -- I ended up doing this with CSS. The categories zigzag (rather than proceed alphabetically in each column). It would be good to know the "right" way of doing this, but this works for now! Thanks again.

#categories ul {
    float: left;
    width: 220px;
    list-style: none;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

#categories li {
    width: 110px;
    float: left;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    font-size: 11px;
    line-height: 125%;
    }

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. @esullivan: Thanks for the update and your solution. Straightforward = best most times :)

Certainly worth looking into for Thematic, I agree.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.