ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

[closed]

3 Column content area on home page.

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Tarquin
  • Latest reply from flick
  • This topic is resolved
  1. I'm creating a custom home-page template and I would like to make use of a 3-column layout in the content area hopefully using widgets that can easily be updated. I currently have a random image generator in the content area and would like to have the text columns below this. In the second column, I'd like to have the latest blog posts displaying, while the other 2 columns would just be static text.

Any ideas how to best pull this off using thematic? Let me know if you need any more info. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Thanks for the info flick.

I've followed instructions and now technically have a 3 column layout home-page. I'm still not quite clear on how I can achieve the layout using widgets to update the columns.

Here is an example of the type of layout I'm after http://www.islanddentistry.net/

I have a random image plug-in working currently but I'm not sure on how to achieve the 3 column text below this using widgets. I'd like to have one of the columns display the latest blog posts while the other x2 would simply display static text.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. @Tarquin: Apologies, my bad there - I think I misread your post and skipped over the important phrase 3 columns "in the content area".

It's probably definitely worth taking a look at this Themeshaper-made childtheme: Power Blog as it comes with a 3 column widgetised content and seeing how it's done for your own site.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Thanks for this flick.

I did look at this possibility before posting. I'd hoped I wouldn't need implement this because of the difference in layout overall. My current design is all 960 throughout with a single column sidebar.

Is there a way that the 'leader 1-3' widgets can simply be added to my existing childtheme?

This would save on re-customizing the entire theme over.

Thanks again.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Ok, sorry if I'm quite new to this. Just lifted all the leader code from the Powerblog and added successfully to my base thematic childtheme. I used the Widget Logic plug-in to limit the widget to the front-page only and viola! Now all I need to do is tweak the column widths and text styles according to my design.

Thanks for the help flick!

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Nice one, Tarquin :) I'm using Context Widget instead of Widget Logic (but it works in the same way) Hope you'll share the link of your finished site with us all.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.