ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

Accessibility & WCAG? Style Switchers?

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by adrians
  • Latest reply from Chris
  • This topic is not resolved
  1. adrians

Hi,

I was just wondering how accessible Thematic is out-of-the-box and its compliance to WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0 standards?

Would it be trivial to make a child Thematic theme accessible to either of the WCAG standards?

I'm quite new to WordPress development but I've seen some accessible WordPress themes (e.g. Beast-Blog v2.0 by Mike Cherim at http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=160) and have been impressed with what I have seen of Thematic thus far.

Maybe this should go in another post but I'm also wondering whether a child Thematic theme could support "style switchers" so if a user clicked on a "Remove Page Backgrounds" link the CSS would change to 'nobackground.css' (for instance) otherwise it would display the default, full-featured 'style.css'. Similarly, if a user clicked on a "Text Only" link, the CSS would change to 'textonly.css' but the default would otherwise be 'style.css'. (Hope that makes sense!)

Would this have to be done in the child themes functions.php file? Or would it require various page templates stored in the child Thematic folder?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Adrian

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hey Adrian,

I need to check this first. There might be a few of things that are related to the Thematic Framework .. the major parts need to come from the child theme and from the user itself.

.. and I'll check the Theme Switcher thing.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. adrians

Hi Chris,

Just wondering whether you have had any chance to look into this issue of Accessibility and style switchers yet?

Cheers,

Adrian

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Hey Adrian,

I ran my blog through one of the online tests. Thematic has everything to create a blog that meets the WCAG standards. I haven't checked all warnings 'til now. Most of them are coming from my content. It's possible that a few are caused by Thematic itself.

At the moment I'm sitting in the middle of nowhere having only an EDGE connection. So for the moment I can't setup a blank WordPress with Thematic to verify the warnings coming from the WCAG test.

Still need to check for the style switcher. There're a couple of websites describing how to do it, but haven't found the time to test it.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. adrians

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking into this.

I'd envision a style switcher working like the one at http://lflegal.com/ - which is a WCAG 2.0 AAA compliant site created by Mike Cherim at http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=328.

I don't even know how this would be accomplished using a normal WordPress theme, maybe using a series of page templates?

Cheers,

Adrian

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. You could try WP Style Switcher ..

It's working with cookies and different CSS files.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.