ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

Is there a doc on the asides &c.?

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whit
  • Latest reply from peteremil
  • This topic is not resolved

Tags:

1. whit

With 8.1 installed, rather than having one or two sidebars to install widgets to as in common themes, there are 13 different areas. I'm sure if I spent a day playing with it, I could learn what each of these applies to. But it would be far easier if there is an explanation, perhaps a diagram showing where and in which contexts each of these will show on the site. Can I find this somewhere? I've looked, but not found it yet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hey and welcome on board,

in your thematic folder you can find a readme.html which should give you a first overview 'bout the location of the different widget areas.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. whit

Ah, yes, thanks! Wonder why Ian doesn't post that full text as a page on his site, by way of advertising the capabilities. In the broader picture, WordPress ought to have a feature to optionally display theme-specific docs within the administrative panel (or does it somehow already?).

It's nice to see a project making real progress with WordPress skins. There are dozens of sites (including wordpress.org) featuring hundreds of skins which mostly look like they were done by kids in high school during recess. The more that come out, the lower the average quality. Which is too bad because the guts of WP have finally gotten to a level of considerable sophistication.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. @whit... See my earlier reply to a similar question at http://forums.themeshaper.com/topic/extra-widgetized-areas

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. whit

What is the difference between a "single post page" - for "single asides" - and a "static page" - for "page asides"? As near as I can see, WP only has one sort of "page", using WP's distinction of "pages" from "posts," rather than the general use where everything's a "page." So for the "single asides," are those to show up in what WP calls pages, or what WP calls posts? For that matter, all "pages" (as compared to the "posts") in WP are what I'd call "static."

The vocabulary here is way too confused. Definitions are needed to decode it - at least for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Good point. I could probably improve the documentation.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. I've made by myself three maps with all the areas. you could download them at http://www.altamentedecorativo.com/downloads/Maps_of_Thematic_widgets_areas.zip

hope it helps

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. peteremil

@dannydamnboy: thanks a lot! As Whit already stated the documentation lacks big time. I'm ploughing through the forum, guide, several sites with posts regarding Thematic (and frameworks in general) to get my head round it. I can prototype semantically correct xhtml/css sites, but to implement the framework with all those hooks & filters without a rocksolid documentation is really, really hard... I'm no beginner in css, but php is new to me. The more documentation, the better!

@Ian: I sincerely hope you find the time to expand a bit more on the documentation-part of Thematic. Since this thread is 4 months old...

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.