ThemeShaper Forums » Thematic

[closed]

problem with meta widget & Widget Context plugin

(19 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by karenf
  • Latest reply from helgatheviking
  • This topic is resolved
  1. karenf

First of all, thank you for all the work you do on this amazing product!
    I'm running into a problem that has to do with the meta widget and the search widget not appearing in the sidebar. The problem started after I installed the Widget Context plugin. Viewing the page source, I see "<!-- widget context: could not call the original callback function -->" where the widget should appear.
    If I deactivate the plugin, the meta and search widgets appear.
    I'm running WP 2.9.2. When I first noticed the problem, I had Thematic 0.9.5.1. I upgraded Thematic to 0.9.6.1 in hopes that the problem would go away, but no joy.
    Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. karenf

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to determine what's causing this problem?
    I do find it odd that there are not other reports of this problem occurring, suggesting to me that I've done something goofy in my child theme.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. @karenf: I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but if - as you've said - that de-activating the widget/plugin means everything appears just fine, I'd lean towards some conflict between e.g. the search widget vs. Widget Context. I'm not sure if this is the right way of thinking as Widget Context has worked fine for me so far.

Just out of interest, does this issue occur with both meta and search together, or just meta and just search individually?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. karenf

Thank you for your response, flick. The problem occurs in both scenarios: meta and search individually, and meta and search together. I started out adding meta individually which is when I noticed the problem. I don't actually need to add search in the widget area because I used code in my functions.php to create a custom access div with the menu and search box. I thought maybe that was a contributing factor to this problem, but I tested with the custom access div code removed from functions.php and the problem still occurs.
    Can you think of anything else I should try?

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. @karenf: I've been able to replciate your issue on my installation as well. Have also tested with a fresh install of Thematic/child theme and have the same result with Meta and Search widgets. These widgets seem to display fine on another theme though. Text, RSS, Link widgets always display just fine.

If it's any help, I have just submitted an 'Issue' ticket at the Google project page as a first step, because I'm not sure if this is related to Widget Context or Thematic, so hopefully will receive some feedback soon.

http://code.google.com/p/thematic/issues/detail?id=67

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. karenf

flick, you're a gem! Thank you so much for your assistance!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Hi,

I'm working on this issue.

The Meta widget is already back on my machine and the rest will follow. Will keep you updated on this.

Chris

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. The RSS links are back.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. And finally Search is back.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Get revision 640 from the SVN and give it a try.

.. you need to run WordPress 2.8.x or above! Versions below 2.8.x are no longer supported.

Chris

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Goodbye *_widget_control!! I'm glad to see those deprecated functions go away. :)

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. That's just what I thought ;)

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. @Chris and Gene: Thanks so much for your help! :)

I will be sure to test it out again with Widget Context.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. @flick - back at ya. its good see you helping around here as well

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. @Chris and Gene: Can confirm that the Meta and Search widgets work fine for me as well with Widget Context on a fresh installation of Thematic (with r640).

@Gene: Posts/replies from others have helped me a lot. Am just hoping I won't lead people down the wrong path most of the time. :p

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. karenf

Thanks to all involved in getting this issue resolved!

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. I just ran into this problem myself and was out googling for an answer. So I was quite pleased to see the answer was here. I think I got SVN version 654... or whatever is the latest as I was following the linked-to tortoise instructions. It does solve the problem, but is it advisable to use this latest version or should I go back (once i figure out how to get it) to the version referenced here?

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. Once you move to using the svn, It can be a slippery slope. When I moved to using the bleeding versions of Thematic, I was haunted by the urge to stay updated. You can get addicted to the new features and potentially confused with differences to the current release version. So I'm not really sure how to advise you.

A support pitfall with running the svn as opposed to the release version is that you might experience a bug specific to the svn version. So be sure to specify which svn version you're woking with when posting a support request. And be careful not to hand out code specific to the svn when answering a current release support question( as I have done several times )

Good luck
    -Gene

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. eek... well I don't think I will feel the urge to constantly be updating my version. I am only doing it in this instance to fix the problem described above.

Though I just battled my way through a new problem that cropped up. Some IE7 bug I presume. The search widget would NOT display its background image in IE7. I looked at it w/ firebug Lite and it says the background is correct... plus I am using the same image for other widgets (it is specific to .aside h3.widgettitle and not to the search widget in any way) and it appears just fine in all other browsers, even the dread IE6. It was so strange... and drove me nuts. Adding zoom: 1; seems to have fixed it. But even though that wasn't an SVN bug, I don't think I could handle knowing I could run into similarly maddening bugs like that all the time in the SVN! I've got enough to deal with!

I have no idea what the new features even are... so I hope I don't go giving bad code out. I'll try to be wary of that.

As always, thanks for all your help on here w/ all my (and everyone else's) various problems! You rock!

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.