ThemeShaper Forums » Development Talk

[closed]

Thematic & Buddymatic - RoadMap, Support

(21 posts)
  • Started 14 years ago by sfrangos
  • Latest reply from helgatheviking
  1. Hello All -

Thanks again to Ian, Chris, Gene and others for their generous support here.

I have worked with the Thematic framework for some time, and it's great. Now we are looking at some development jobs incorporating BuddyPress, and reading the boards here and at BuddyPress, I have come across a "cousin"(?) of Thematic -- BuddyMatic (see: http://freebpthemes.com/themes/buddymatic/) Anybody worked with it?

My question is that with the coming merger of WP 3.0/MU, along with Automattic's purchase of BuddyPress -- does the same sort of merging make sense for Thematic/Buddymatic? If so, what is the roadmap?

Thanks -
    Scott

Posted 14 years ago #
  2. Hi Scott,

the next release will support BuddyPress out of the box. And I might have the option page feature ready.

Chris

Posted 14 years ago #
  3. Is the next release like.. imminent? I'm considering moving to Thematic from Thesis, now that WP is going 3.0 with multisite etc.. Both rights issues and lack of support for buddypress and multisite there. Thematic does seem like a better option!

Posted 14 years ago #
  4. Multi-Site support is already available in the current SVN revision. I'm working on BP support right now. Think that I'll have a working SVN copy in the next two weeks.

Chris

Posted 14 years ago #
  5. meaning buddymatic will become redundant? sweet.. much better with a single source of code :)

Posted 14 years ago #
  6. Hi Peter,

don't think that Buddymatic will become redundant. I'll merge both into one version. It doesn't make too much sense to have 2 different versions for the same purpose.

Btw. .. I'm not only merging the two versions into one. My current local copy is running WP 2.9.2 / WP 3.0 and BuddyPress v1.2.3 :)

Chris

Posted 14 years ago #
  7. .. forgot this one: No, it won't work with BuddyPress v1.3-bleeding ;)

Posted 14 years ago #
  8. yeah well that was what I was talking about ;) is your "local copy" the same as the svn? if not, will you please let me/us know when it's available?

Posted 14 years ago #
  9. Hi Chris & Collegues -

I need to start building out for BuddyPress this week. What is the recommended process? What is the release date for Thematic that works with BuddyPress?

Thanks -
    Scott

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Hi All -

Just bumping you on this question: is Thematic ready for BuddyPress now? Three weeks ago, Chris reported it should be ready in a "couple of weeks."

I have a job coming right up requiring integration with BuddyPress, so your prompt reply with any links to good structural/conceptual references will be appreciated.

Thanks -
    Scott

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. balebond

I'd like to know when this is available as well. Will be very nice to have thematic capabilities with BuddyPress.

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. Support will be available for BuddyPress 1.3.

Chris

Posted 13 years ago #
  13. Hi Chris & Colleagues -

When will the new version of Thematic, that supports BuddyPress be released?

Thanks -
    Scott

Posted 13 years ago #
  14. Here's my 2 cents. I haven't thought out the long term consequences yet but I have successfully set up a child theme by using this plugin:

bp-template-pack

Activate your child theme, activate buddypress and the bp-template-pack plugins and walk through the process. It took all of 5 minutes.

Posted 13 years ago #
  15. Robo

For those of us not quite in the know about BuddyPress, could someone take a few minutes to explain a few of the benefits of it?

Built in private messaging sounds fantastic...

What does it mean to integrate BP and Thematic together? Bigger code base? Version clashes and potential problems?

While I am finding Thematic really amazing to use, I think it would be even better if there was perhaps a community edited wiki where demo code and examples could be submitted from users. And a FAQ page that answers all these questions.

Cheers guys!!!

Posted 13 years ago #
  16. Hi,

We will integrate support for BuddyPress into Thematic.

Thematic will get bigger because we need additional code, but this additional code won't load without BuddyPress installed.

I haven't seen any potential problems during my work with BuddyPress. As long as there are major differences between the BuddyPress versions, we will tie Thematic to a certain tested version of BuddyPress. That means, one version of Thematic will only work with a certain version of BuddyPress.

And .. please keep in mind, that you need at least a virtual private server to run BuddyPress. Don't try to build a community thing on a shared server!

Chris

Posted 13 years ago #
  17. Robo

"And .. please keep in mind, that you need at least a virtual private server to run BuddyPress. Don't try to build a community thing on a shared server!"

Gee, thanks 4 pointing that out Chris. I have a reseller account.

Is the problem extra load from buddypress per se, or is it because 10000 members would make the server fall over? I ask because what if there were only 100 members for example?

Cheers!

Posted 13 years ago #
  18. zoltok

Hi there,

Any updates on this? Does the latest stable dev release support buddypress? I am already partly through developing a site with Buddymatic, but if this is going to be merged I'd like to start working with it as soon as possible!

Posted 13 years ago #
  19. agentOOjoe

I am also wondering if the newest Thematic currently supports Buddypress out of the box. If not, when do you think this will be possible?

Thanks!
    Joe

Posted 13 years ago #
  20. Is this still being worked on or considered?

Posted 12 years ago #
  21. i honestly have no idea. i'm going to say at the moment, no. probably not until we get settled into thematic's new home, and we get more people involved in the development. right now we just are trying to get the regular thematic up to a long-term-stable release.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.